“Cinema Tycoon 2: Movie Mania” is the second edition of the Cinema Tycoon series. Mr. Pickwick is the owner of Pickwick Incorporation, a small regional theater chain which has been losing money for years, so Mr. Pickwick is not well at all. Pickwick Inc was once the first movie chain in the land. Movie starts would come to his theaters for premiers. Lines would be around the block. People would get dressed up when they came to the movies, but that is all gone now. The reason the Pickwick movie chain has fallen on such hard times is because big conglomerate companies have moved in and taken all of the customers. These don’t care about customers and only care about profits. They’re hurting the industry. But there is a glimmer of hope. You – as a player – may be the person to bring the chain back to its former glory.
The first time you play the game a tutorial will show you, step-by-step what you need to know to play it. Of course, you can skip it at any time. As the previous version, this new edition of the game turns you into a cinema manager taking care of all kind of matters such as personnel, inventory, and deciding which movies to show.
For those who have played the previous version of the game, the interface will look familiar. It’s a bit restyled though.
When you enter the game, you’ll be asked for a player name and then you’ll see the welcome screen with the following options:
- Change Player: the first time there’s no existing player. After you create one or more, they’ll be saved. When you enter into this submenu, you’ll be asked for a name as a new player. It’s possible to have a list of different players and record their performance. This way, you can play home tournaments with family and friends.
- Start: this option leads you to the comic-style introduction to the game. When it’s done you’ll be seeing the tutorial when it’s the first time you play (you can skip it at any time).
- Help: to access the on-line help page. There’s no local help information besides the tutorial.
- Options: this is the menu from which you can set some game options like: sound effects volume, music volume, mute sounds (on/off), and full screen (on/off).
- Exit: no further explanation required.
Once you are playing, you can press the MENU button on the screen to pause the game, go to the options menu, back to game, access help information, or go back to the main menu.
You can try this game for 60 minutes before you buy the licensed version. If you like it, you can buy this game for only 19.95 dollars, right from the Oberon Media Game Center, on the Web.
About the systems requirements, here you have a list to check out:
- Windows Vista; Windows XP
- 3D graphics card with 16 MB RAM
- DirectX 8.1
- 256 MB Ram
- Easy to learn how to play, guided by the tutorial
- Affordable price
- It’s a very entertaining strategy game
- It’s available only in English
- It’s not a multiplayer game
- Use on network is not supported